Hurricane Harvey wreaked havoc on the Houston Independent School District — the largest public school system in Texas and the seventh-largest in the United States — forcing school closures and disrupting the lives of hundreds of thousands of students and teachers. The storm damaged nearly all school buildings. About 10,000 to 12,000 Houston ISD students will be temporarily displaced from their storm-damaged schools and sent to other campuses, delaying their first day of school to September 25. These students have lost everything.
Our Partner - Books Between Kids
Together we can help these children. The Peace Fund is partnering with Books Between Kids, to supply books and school supplies to children who have lost everything. Books Between Kids is a non profit organization founded in 2012 to serve Houston's low income students by providing them with books to build their own home libraries. About 85% of Houston ISD’s elementary-aged children live at or below the poverty line. Since 2012, Books Between Kids has distributed almost 1,000,000 books. In May 2016, over 300,000 books went home with more than 42,000 students in 69 Houston ISD elementary schools and early childhood centers.
Books Between Kids
9947 Harwin, Suite C
Houston TX 77036
Phone: (832) 831-1402
Schools We Are Supporting
Books Between Kids will be on the ground working with students from 6 extensively damaged elementary schools:
- Braeburn Elementary - 923 students/99% Free and Reduced Price Lunch
- Hilliard Elementary - 675 students/79% Free and Reduced Price Lunch
- Mitchell Elementary - 533 students/87% Free and Reduced Price Lunch
- Robinson Elementary - 631 students/86% Free and Reduced Price Lunch
- Scarborough Elementary - 753 students/95% Free and Reduced Price Lunch
Ways You Can Help
- Do you have a bookshelf full of children’s books that your kids are no longer reading? Send gently-used Pre-K through 5th-Grade level books and get your friends involved. They are especially in need of elementary-level chapter books and leveled readers (“learn-to-read” books).
- Purchase new books Pre-K through 5th-Grade reading level. Again, chapter books and leveled readers are especially needed. To make it easy, Books Between Kids has created a wish list on Amazon where you can purchase items if you wish: Help Hurricane Kids Wish List
- Books Between Kids will also be accepting any school supplies donations at this address and distributing to these affected elementary schools.
- Donate here and we will purchase the books/supplies and send them on your behalf.
Books Between Kids will also accept donations of school supplies and will distribute them to the elementary schools affected by the hurricane.