Tameer-e-Millat was a vision, a dream and a passion, long before it became an organization utterly devoted to the cause of Education.
It is the brain-child of a few expatriate Pakistanis, who after having served at highest professional level in United States, returned home with a commitment to spread knowledge in their motherland.
It was the truth of their promise and depth of their patriotic feelings that Tameer-e-Millat emerged as a non-discriminatory, non-partisan, and non-profit education-driven organization in 1987.
UNESCO defines a "literate person" as the one who can read and write a short simple statement on his/her everyday life. Literacy is the means to acquire logic of BEING, sense of AWARENESS and understanding of RESPONSIBILITIES. In the long run, it serves as a gateway to EDUCATION, a concept that encompasses knowledge, skill, professional enrichment and intellectual veracity.
The aim of Tameer-e-Millat therefore is to improve literacy rate in the country and pave way for education, whereby accomplishing socio-economic, cultural, ethical and cerebral reinforcement.The objectives of
Tameer-e-Millat are to:
- Set up a network of model educational institutions in Pakistan particularly in rural areas.
- Motivate and mobilize national and international resources in all areas for the promotion of education in Pakistan.
- Provide scholarships, stipends, grants and loans to brilliant and deserving students.
- Establish well-stocked libraries for the benefit of students, staff and the general public.
- Hold seminars and conferences on educational themes, encourage creative work and exchange of ideas among educationists and other professionals at national and international level.
- Publish books, brochures, journals, periodicals and pamphlets for continuous education of students, teachers and the public at large.
- Organize pre-service and in-service Teachers' Training Programs through Teachers Development Institute.
- Establish Institutes of Education and Research to cultivate a culture of observation and analysis in Pakistan.
- Promote character building and personality grooming